Friday, March 12, 2010

Drag Queens

I love Drag Queens. There. I said it! They are fantastic! How did I come to this revelation? Well, let me tell you. My girlfriends took me to a bar in Back Bay in Boston. Jacques. I had heard about Jacques before. They have drag shows and they are fabulous. That's all I needed to hear to know I had to see this for myself and what better time to do it than when you're turning 32!??!?!

So me and 3 of my girlfriends made a night out of it. We went to pre-game at the Back Bay Hotel and had fun martinis. We then went out to dinner. Service was horrible, restaurant will remain nameless. Then we went to Jacques. I was buzzing with excitement all week about this and I was like a little girl at an N Sync concert (or me at an N Sync concert at 32, but I digress!) We walk into the bar and it's a dump! This just makes it that much more wonderful. It's my kind of townie dive bar inside with a small stage and tables and chairs in front of it. We get there to find ourselves directly in front of a drag queen photo shoot happening before the show. We decided she's a wanna be for the show and that is part of her audition.

The show starts and these amazing "women" come on stage to Beyonce (of course!!). They all proceed to do a combo of solos and group performances for the next hour and a half. I was off my chair most of the time dancing and singing along with my new found BFF's! These ladies were THE BEST!!!

It was the most outrageous thing I've ever seen and now that I am reflecting back on it, I think about how much I admire them for what they do. Can you imagine a world where you do what you want, how you want, and don't give a crap what anyone else thinks? This is the world my new drag queen friends live in and I admire them for that! All of you who live in Boston or travel to Boston, don't leave the city before checking out the amazingness of Jacques!

Have a great weekend everyone. I'm off to Raleigh for a bridal shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment