Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Future Mrs. Wahlberg

When are you a fan versus a stalker? I often wonder this when I think about my obsession with a little known boy band (the original!). I first heard New Kids on the Block when I was about 12ish and I immediately fell IN LOVE with this band. Had to have the tapes (yes tapes!), had to have the buttons (the big ones, not the normal size) and had to have the posters. Even tooks pictures (with my pink Le Click camera) of the posters and hung the pictures next to the posters. Yes, I was obsessed.

Then it all came crashing down when they stopped making music. Even when they went through that weird NKOTB phase, I was a fan! Then a spark hit when Jordan came out with a song a few years ago (loved it!). I watched a VH1 special a few years ago where they tried to get old bands back together. NKOTB was on there list of bands. So for 30 minutes I watched in anticipation as some talk show host tried to get Joey, Jonathan, Danny, Donnie, and Jordan back together for one night! I was CRUSHED when at the end of the show, many members of the band wouldn't even be filmed. I knew that my dreams of seeing my fave boy band make a come back were slim to none.

So imagine my surprise when last year they announce a comeback! All women my age were going crazy (you're lying if you say you weren't!) I of course immediately did the following things:
1) Looked around for all my CD's that I had from them (including the Christmas CD!)
2) Looked around for any memorabilia I had.
3) Became a fan of their newly formed comeback website so of course I can be the FIRST to know about anything going on.
4) Pre-ordered their new CD (The Block!)

When I got the CD, I memorized every single song because I would be going to the concert (obviously!) and will need to sing along to every song. Not only did I go to the concert, but I went to their special Christmas concert and loved every second of it!

Now a year has gone by since they announced their comeback and I'm reflecting on if I'm just a fan or if I'm totally obsessed. I might mention that I did stalk Donnie at a Celtics game a few months ago and successfully met him and it MADE MY LIFE. I chose to remain optimistic about this and say it's just me wanting to recapture my youth and not be a total stalker.

So here's to you NKOTB. Thanks for a kick ass year of fun times remembering the times of Please Don't Go Girl and Hanging Tough and thanks for introducing some fun new songs to my IPod this year!

3 comments:

  1. hahah, this sounds like me - I think it also is odd we both ended up in Boston, where they are from. We might need help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the same way but with the Backstreet Boys. Never missed a concert and even went to Nick Carter's solo show. Ah, to be a teeny-bopper again.

    ReplyDelete