Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Quest for 40

I've been trying to lose weight since college. I cheered for 15 years when I was younger. For the record, cheerleading IS a sport! I stopped cheering in college and still ate like I was burning 1,000 calories a day. So my weight gradually crept up and I've been on this crazy weight loss journey ever since. I'm a doer, I get stuff done simply put. When I want to start a business, I do it. When I want to start a blog, I do it. When I want to.....well, you get the point! So when I wanted to lose weight, I couldn't do it. Call it metabolism, call it DNA, whatever. This has been a battle for me for YEARS. So I'm doing Weight Watchers right now and it's the most simple diet ever. I hate the word diet because I've learned throughout the years that you just need to eat healthy and exercise so Weight Watchers forces portion control which I clearly need and I try to call it "eating healthy" instead of diet.

For some reason, this time, I'm super motivated. I'm taking spin classes(most weeks)and this week I've been great with my eating, lots of protein and veggies, not a lot of carbs. PS: Carbs are my first love and they complete me. And no, I'm not afraid to quote Jerry Maguire while I'm talking about my love of carbs!

My trainer once told me that it takes 28 days to break a habit. So I tried this and failed miserably. My husband and I like wine (personally, it's my 2nd love, only 2nd to carbs!). We challenged each other to not drink for 30 days just to see if we could do it. We were going strong 15 days in and then we decided to go out to dinner at a cute little Italian restaurant. And what happened? We drank a glass of wine, then another one. It was all over after that. We drank wine almost every day for the rest of the 30 days. Am I a raging alcoholic? Probably not because I don't drink in the morning (my definition of what a true drunk does!) So I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm a wino!

So I'm trying the 30 day thing again, except I'm doing it with food and exercise. This will get me closer to a 40 pound weight loss this year. I'm trying to break bad eating habits in 30 days and I'm vowing to work out more in 30 days. Stay tuned for more musings on this weight loss journey and to see if the scale looks different in 30 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment